Thursday, August 25, 2011

Spinach & Feta Quiche

We have a huge patch of spinach at the moment, and the herb garden is overflowing with parsley. My parents in law are getting lots of beautiful free range eggs from their chooks, so what better way to combine all this delicious produce than in a quiche!

I have a love / hate relationship with home made pastry. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes its a terrible disaster and I lose all confidence in my pastry making skills. I clipped this recipe from a magazine years ago, and it seems to be working well - I think the trick is to refrigerate the pastry once you line the tin, before blind baking. That eliminates the shrinkage.

Shortcrust Pastry:
1 2/3 cup plain flour
125g chilled unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
2 tbs chilled water

Place flour and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and water and process until mixture comes together in a ball. Shape into a disc and refrigerate for 30 mins. Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper to approximately 5mm thick, then line a greased tart tin. Trim and refrigerate again for 30 minutes, before blind baking.

Quiche Filling:
2 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
2 finely chopped spring onions
100g feta cheese
5-6 eggs
1/2 cup milk (or cream if you are feeling decadent)
salt (only a touch as the cheese is quite salty) and pepper
Spread spinach, parsley and onion over the blind baked pastry shell. Crumble over cheese. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasoning, then pour over the spinach and cheese until the tart shell is full. Bake for 20-30 minutes in a moderate oven (approx 180C, 350F) until golden brown.


The best thing about quiches is that they are so versatile.If you find feta too strong, swap it for a cup of grated cheddar. To please the meat eaters you can omit half the spinach and add 3 rashers of chopped bacon. You can swap out the spinach and cheese for a can of salmon and a cup of fresh green peas. The possibilities are endless, and you can make your quiche ahead and freeze it if you like.

And make your pastry if you are brave enough - it is soooo much better than store bought!!



8 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy - I miss my quiches. Damn Liam and his egg allergy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spinach and feta, and this looks and sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already hungry, but this picture puts me over the edge. This looks so good!!! I haven't used my quiche dish since getting married, but I think this has sparked a quiche revival ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look so GOOD! Quiche is a favorite of mine. YUMMY!
    We would love to have you come link up to our Crafty Lassie Tuesday Link Party. http://sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com/
    We are also having a giveaway! Hope to see you there.
    Thanks!
    Rose & Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that photo looks good enough to eat. Feta and spinach go perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing. Just liked you on facebook. Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to thank you for a truly scummy dinner last night. I followed your recipe and it worked brilliantly. A really delicious supper (and leftover lunch)
    Here is a pic of my attempt: http://instagr.am/p/IpVHnaMKtA/
    Thanks once again!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - I adore hearing from you! I love to reply personally via email so if your email isn't visible in your profile feel free to leave it in your message so I can get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...