Friday, September 20, 2013

How To Make An Etsy Banner - Tutorial



Many of us crafty people often decide to sell our wares using an online marketplace. Etsy is the most popular of these platforms so I thought I'd share a quick tutorial on how to make a custom banner for your Etsy shop.

Let's face it, when you are setting up a little business, in the early stages money is tight and you might be reluctant to pay for a graphic designer to create one for you. So here is how you can make one for free!

First up, you need a blank image. I create one by opening Microsoft Paint (yep I'm on a PC, Mac users I'm sure there is an equivalent) then I select 'save as' for the blank image. I change it to a jpeg format and save it to my desktop. Done.

Here is one I prepared earlier, feel free to right click and save it. My gift to you :)

Blank jpeg


For photo editing and image creation I use PicMonkey. Most of the features are free and it's really user friendly.

Open PicMonkey and select 'edit a photo' and upload your blank jpeg. Next you need to crop your picture to size - Etsy banners must be 760 x 100 pixels.


Once you've done your cropping the fun can begin! PicMonkey has a huge range of little pictures, banners, shapes and fonts that you can play with to create a design that suits your style and the aesthetic of your Etsy shop.


The possibilities are endless!  Once you have a design you are happy with, save it to your computer. Open Etsy and upload it using the options in "Info & Appearance" in your Etsy account.

That's it! Other alternatives are use a picture of your products (but it must be small so it will fit into the cropped area) or use a picture of something that you love that suits your style (like perhaps bright green grass or flowers) then use a text overlay. You can also use your own pictures as overlays so you can insert images of your products into the banner.

You can check out mine here - it's very simple and I've kept it connected to my blog by using the same colour scheme. My poor Etsy shop is a little neglected lately but it still ticks over and earns me some pocket money to spend on more fabric! I do really love sewing up orders for customers, wrapping them up and sending them off in the post to their new home.

Happy Etsy selling!

4 comments:

  1. Bahaha, I after thinking about banners for the craft room I thought this was going to be a rip off flag banner post, but I am still happy I plan on opening an etsy store very soon. Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I'm pinning this post and saving it for later. Suggestion for a next tutorial is how did you do to put this Pinterest button when we go over the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog “Bandit Signs” are those signs which are used to show some kind of important thing to people. Like road arrows and warning boards etc. These signs are to much common and useful in the world. cheap signs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - I adore hearing from you! I love to reply personally via email so if your email isn't visible in your profile feel free to leave it in your message so I can get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...