I've finished my blocks - I've made fifteen, and the finished quilt will have five rows of three. All of the fabric in my blocks was in my stash already. Anna chose some of it and she chose the elephant print for the quilt back, so she already has a sense of ownership over this quilt. Here are some of the blocks:
Fabric: Owl print from Spotlight, pale pink solid and Denise Schmidt dot print.
Ariel the Mermaid print, white solid, Bonnie & Camille Vintage Modern aqua polka dot.
Argh messy edges! Bunting print from Spotlight, yellow solid, linen blend polka dot from Spotlight.
Rain clouds print, my own design printed by Spoonflower, white solid, Amy Butler Soul Blossoms Periwinkle.
Owl print by Spotlight, yellow solid, Bright Sky Twiggy from Oh Deer by Moda.
So it all looks a bit messy and there is no particular colour theme but I haven't included any reds because I have so many pinks. I ended up choosing a medium shade purple for the sashing so I hope that pulls it all together, but it's scrappy by nature so it doesn't have to have a theme. It has been a good project for me to practice piecing and get my corners to line up. Some blocks are better than others. I've made these blocks before - last year I made these ones for a charity drive. You can find the tutorial for these blocks here.
I plan to try and use the self binding technique where you use the excess fabric from the backing fabric to bind the quilt. I'd like to try it so I can machine the binding and make the finish nice and quick.
Once I get the quilt top finished I tend to get really focused and baste and quilt quickly. So hopefully I'll be able to share the finished product soon!
Linking with other Creative Spaces today.