Friday, January 24, 2014

Happy Go Lucky Cushions

My Nan is notoriously hard to buy for at Christmas and birthday time. She always protests that there is nothing she wants or needs, but she is always incredibly generous with all of us. I racked my brains trying to think of a Christmas gift for her, and this is what I came up with!


I thought she might like a bit of colour in her living room - her sofa is beige with matching beige cushions, so I decided to add some Bonnie & Camille prettiness to the room.

I used a charm pack of Happy Go Lucky. The first cushion I made was the red / grey / aqua combination. Always a winning mix of colours for me. When I first laid out the charm squares for this one I had more aqua and grey, but I realised it had to have more red to compete with the strong colours in the blue cushion.


I chose 16 charm squares from the pack and laid them out until I was happy with the design. I stitched them together in 4 rows of 4, then added some quilt batting to the back and quilted about 1cm either side of each seam.

Next up was the blue / orange / yellow cushion.


The bonus of using a charm pack is that while the colour palettes for both cushions are very different, the fabric design still creates a matching pair.

For the cushion backs I used some simple poly cotton prints I picked up at Spotlight. Both of them coordinate nicely with the colours on the front. I also inserted a hidden zip with the help of this great tutorial by Ms Midge.


The gift was a success and Nan was really happy with them! The finished cushions were the perfect size for an 18" pillow form. I've since had a big scrap bust and have cut enough charm squares from my scraps for a few cushions and a quilt top.

I love them both but I think the red / aqua / grey is my favourite.


How do you quilters get your seams to match perfectly? Mine are ok but there are a few that are very wonky. Should I invest in a 1/4" foot, or are there any other tips or tricks you can share with me?

13 comments:

  1. Using a quarter inch seam helps, but you need to nest your seams when you sew the rows together. If you don't know what I mean I could explain it to you, or you could go to Craftsy.com. They have a free class on the fundamentals of quilting or you could you tube it. Let me know how it goes!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Cindy, I will look into that! I love Craftsy so I'll definitely check out that free class.

      Delete
    2. I just enrolled in the free Piece Patch Quilt class :)

      Delete
  2. I found a big difference when I bought my 1/4" foot, though mostly with really intricate piecing rather than simple square patches. I still have seams that are a little wonky though...I guess the foot can't solve everything! I've just learned to live with the not-quite-perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two BEAUTIFUL cushions, Ros!!! Love them both, but my favourite is the blue / orange / yellow. From where I'm sitting, I can't see any wonky seams or corners that don't meet. I bet your Nan thinks they're perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them both, hard to pick my favourite! This is what I used to get my points nicely lined up: http://www.sewmamasew.com/2010/04/quilting-basics-matching-seams-quick-piecing-techniques

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous :-) Definitely nesting your seams is what allows them all to line up nicely - but for me it is still a little hit and miss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely gift for your Nan. She would have loved them. I am new to quilting but have found that nesting the seams really helps so too does straight stitching and accurate cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're both gorgeous, homemade gifts are the best. I think my favourite is the red / grey / aqua one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are lovely. Such a great gift. Don't ask me about quilting - I'm a complete novice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pillows are ridiculously cute... What a happy design you came up with for each of them!!
    Great sewing!!
    You rock!! :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - I adore hearing from you! I love to reply personally via email so if your email isn't visible in your profile feel free to leave it in your message so I can get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...