Monday, August 26, 2013
Ricotta, Bacon & Herb Stuffed Mushrooms - Recipe
I love mushrooms. In all forms! Buttons, enoki, swiss brown, field, porcini. I've never met a mushroom I didn't like. (Although I admit, my love for mushrooms only came along in my adult years - you could chase me with them when I was a kid!)
I love to make these Stuffed Mushrooms, sometimes for breakfast and sometimes for dinner. I'll use button mushrooms if I want them as a side dish, or some lovely big field mushrooms if they are the main attraction!
This is a super simple recipe and I hope you love it as much as I do! It's yummy for vegetarians as well if you omit the bacon.
Serves 2 as side dish or entree. Double quantity for a main meal.
Ricotta, Bacon & Herb Stuffed Mushrooms
6-8 button or swiss brown mushrooms OR 2 large field mushrooms
1 rasher of bacon, finely chopped
6 tablespoons of ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh herbs such as flat leaf parsley, basil, oregano, thyme.
salt and pepper
Paprika for sprinkling
1. Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Remove mushroom stems and place mushrooms with their underside facing up on the baking tray.
3. In a bowl, combine bacon, ricotta, herbs and season with salt and pepper.
4. Spoon ricotta mixture into mushrooms. Ricotta holds it's shape well when baked so you can be generous with your spoonfuls.
5. Sprinkle the tops with paprika. It adds a lovely kick to the flavour.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes (30-35 for field size mushrooms) or until cheese is golden and the mushrooms appear to have softened.
Enjoy! A platter of these is also a great party food. For extra bite, grate a small amount of parmesan cheese over them just before serving.