Sunday, May 12, 2013

Quilted Kindle Case

This year my brother organised for all of us to pool our resources and buy Mum a Kindle for Mother's Day. Exasperated by her plans to go and buy some books last week, he ended up giving it to her a week early!

Mum & Dad live in Queensland and travelled down to Melbourne for the weekend. After taking her Kindle on the plane, Mum expressed her worry that she didn't have a cover for it. Hmm...I asked her what colours she liked - she said, green, yellow, and orange. Off she went to take the girls to the Werribee Zoo for the day and I ran straight to my stash to investigate what I had in those colours! After a couple of very focused hours, I had it completed and ready to give to her when she got home.

Here is the finished result! I used the quilt-as-you-go method, referring to this tutorial by Oh! Fransson to make the exterior panels.


The fabrics I used are: Dot Spots in Lime from Moda Half Moon Modern (a left over charm square),  Citadel Sun Gold and Orchid Tangerine from Cuzco by Kate Spain (charm squares), Elephants in Olive and Hearts in Persimmon from an Umbrella Prints mixed trimmings pack.

I didn't have any cotton batting scraps left - argh - but I am being a good girl and trying not to buy too much at the moment. I had some polar fleece scraps that I cut to size and quilted the cotton onto that! I also lined the pouch with the polar fleece - it is nice and soft and will keep the Kindle well padded, and it will also clean the screen as it is slid in and out of it's case.


I made the back more simple, mainly using a green polka dot, but in hindsight I wish I had have added some yellow strips on either side of the elephants. I didn't have any more of the Cuzco Citadel print left though, as I only had one charm square to begin with.


I didn't really use a tutorial for this - I used the Kindle itself to measure the size of the panels I would need - I just added an inch all around.  I based the design of the case on this iPad case tutorial that I have used before - earlier this year I also made this quilt-as-you-go case for my iPad.

Quilt-as-you-go is fast becoming a favourite technique of mine because you can use tiny pieces of fabric and really scrap bust! It's hard to tell the size of this case in the pictures but it is very small - most of those pieces of fabric are only 2 inches in length, they just vary in width. It's also a great way to use up those little pieces of favourite fabrics you can't bear to part with.


Happy Mother's Day Mum! And to all of you who are Mums, Grandmothers, Great-Grandmothers, Step Mums, Foster Mums, Carers and Mums-to-be. Hope you get pampered today - or at least get a sleep in!

5 comments:

  1. Oh isn't that nice and she got a day with the grand kids. I like that quilt as you go method, I am going to have to try it with all the batting scraps I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabric combination, Ros!!! I'll have to try quilt as you go... perhaps on a Kindle cover for Mr TMW...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Ros, bet she was stoked! Happy Mothers Day to you too:). I will definitely have to give quilt as you go a try.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Hope you had a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those colours Ros. Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day with those gorgeous girls of yours.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - I adore hearing from you! I love to reply personally via email so if your email isn't visible in your profile feel free to leave it in your message so I can get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...